The human brain loves to answer questions. It provides evidence for the answer it gives. Consider this question, why am I so fat? I asked myself that many times and my brain ALWAYS had a negative answer and proof for me
- You eat too much
- You’re lazy
- You can’t stick to a diet
Your brain is designed to answer any question you give it. Ask it a negative question and it will give you a negative answer. The key to asking a powerful question is language. Words matter. If you ask yourself, for example, what can I do today to make progress in my weight loss goal? Your brain may answer
- Make a 24-hour plan and follow it
- Take a long walk
- Leave a few bites on your plate at each meal
I’ve put the powerful question practice into my life in a four-step process. I pick a goal or two for the month and use this process for each goal. Asking the powerful over and over keeps my brain focused on the goal.
4 Steps To Powerful Questions
- Determine the goal I want to achieve – for example, lose 10 lbs.
- Craft a question with positive language that will produce the actions I need to take to achieve my goal. For example: What steps do I need to take today to lose 10 lbs. this month?
- Ask the question often and write down what my brain answers with. I ask myself multiple times daily, in the morning, during the day, and before bed. I’m often amazed at the answers my brain presents.
- Take action! Do what my brain tells me to do. It knows the answer!
I often use a powerful question when presented with an obstacle that comes up. Here’s an example from yesterday. My cousin called and invited me to join her family for dinner last minute. I knew what she was serving was not on my plan, but I really wanted to go to see my family. I asked myself this powerful question, how will I go to her house and not eat the off-plan food? The answer my brain came up with…tell them you’ve already eaten and just wanted to come visit. That’s the action I took. I enjoyed visiting and then came home and ate my planned dinner.
Practice asking powerful questions and be sure to take action on the answers your incredible brain provides.